Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Text Message Vocabulary Practice

Writing vocabulary words in normal sentences is so boring! I have a bunch of things I pull from for vocabulary for my students that is way more fun. Over the next few days I am going to share my vocabulary work. I believe in choice for my students' work, so there will be a few :)

Today is Text Message Vocabulary Practice. Sounds pretty much like what it is-- students create a text message dialogue correctly using their vocabulary words. You could do this for homework, small group work, or in Reading/Language Arts centers/stations.



In the above example the word is hectic and the student has to figure our how to use it and show they know what the word means. Students writing context clues is a skill you have to teach and model. I tell them the best way to start off is to try to use a synonym. (You will probably get at least one text message sheet that goes "hey what does hectic mean?" "it means franticly busy" "cool, thanks")

I uploaded a PowerPoint on to Teacher Pay Teachers that has the example (as seen above) and then the blank screenshots-- 2 on 1, full sized, and full sized with lines.

If your students are tech savvy and you are interested you can use a website www.ifaketext.com to do this online. Students can make the screenshot then save it or get a link to the screenshot. Depending on how you use technology in your classroom the students could then share it with you that way (class website, email you, drop box).

Please let me know if you use it in class or have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment